Previously published as ReChurch.”Healing Your Church Hurt: What To Do When You Still Love God But Have Been Wounded by His People” is a timely book by Stephen Mansfield that encourages readers to move beyond hurt and fall in love once again with God’s Church.
Mansfield approaches this topic with directness and sensitivity recognizing that an estimated 37% of the US population avoids church because of past hurts (pg. x).
I like Mansfiend’s story of a young boy with his arm stuck in the vending machine. Crying and bleeding, the boy begs for help, when all along, the boy was clutching onto a candy bar that kept his arm pinned inside. Once he let go of the bar, his arm was set free. Mansfiend likens this experience to the many people who have left the church, but continue to hold onto the “candy bar” of hurt and anger. Only when we chose to let go, will the healing process begin.
Each chapter of the book offers encouragement to pursue healing with heartfelt word of encouragement:
- Adversity endured righteously has the power to lift a man to new heights.
- Nothing can keep my soul in bondage except the forbidden or unclean thing I insist on holding tight.
- When we think we are loving Jesus but hating his people, we are actually loving Jesus so little that his people don’t matter anymore.
- Enduring the wounds of fellow Christians with mercy and grace seems to be the call of every true saint. We should not expect it to be any different in our own lives.
- As you play your bitter story over again in your mind, you keep hardening your feelings and deepening the woud.
- It is time to make a change. And the change begins with forgiving.
In my own life, I have experienced hurts from the church and I have had to forgive and allow God to restore true fellowship with my fellow saints. I can say from experience, there is hope beyond hurt and if you are suffering now, reading this book is a great first step toward restoration.
Win A Free Copy
Tyndale House Publishers has given me the opportunity to do a free book giveaway. To enter the drawing:
1. Follow me on twitter:
STEP #1: FOLLOW ME ON TWITTER
2. Tweet a link to this post using the button below:
STEP #2: TWEET THIS MESSAGE
3. ALTERNATIVE: If you don’t use Twitter, then leave a comment or click the “LIke” button below and that will count as your contest entry.
I will keep track of all the entries and select a winner next Monday, April 2nd. Once the winner is confirmed, I will announce it here in the comments section. Good luck and even if you don’t win, be sure and get your copy of this book.