Greatness lies not in being strong, but in the right using of strength. — Henry Ward Beecher
The Clifton Strengths Finder is a tool developed by the Gallup organization to assess a person’s strengths. I have used it in my church to help develop leadership and as a professor in my Church Planting and Leadership classes. This is truly one of the best assessment tools ever created.
You need to first get the book which includes a free code to take the online StrengthsFinder 2.0 assessment which features a personalized Strengths Insight Report, an Action-Planning Guide, and a web-based Strengths Community. I have found this to be one of the best tools in understanding my own personality and leadership AND a valuable tool for learning about the strengths of other people on my teams. Here are the results of my latest assessment.
- Strategic–I create alternative ways to proceed. Faced with any given scenario, I can quickly spot the relevant patterns and issues.
- Achiever–I have a great deal of stamina and work hard. I take great satisfaction from being busy and productive.
- Responsibility–I take psychological ownership of what I say I will do. I am committed to stable values such as honesty and loyalty
- Belief–I have certain core values that are unchanging. Out of these values emerges a defined purpose for my life.
- Connectedness–I have faith in the links between all things. I believe there are few coincidences and that almost every event has a reason.
If you have never taken this assessment, take time as you begin the new year and do it. It is totally worth the investment! If you have already taken it and used Strength Finder, then share your experience:
- How has knowing your Strengths helped you?
- How has it helped your team?
- Have you used this in creative ways in the classroom?
- What are some ways you have used this to foster stronger team?
Feel free to share the results and insights.