On this LIVE edition Tony Marino and Pastors +Brian Whiteside, +Michael Duncan, and Dr. +Jeff Klick “The Perfect Disciple?” We team God’s Word with our latest book, “The Discipling Church.” Guest Panelists: +J.R. Miller (Dr. Joe Miller), +Jason Velotta, +Lyn Smith, +Tim Young, +Ed Hook, and +Shawn Savage (Shawn & Caroline Savage).
As the show progressed, here are a few thoughts that stuck out to me on Matthew 5:48
My translation, “Stand up and be made perfectly-whole just as the heavenly father is perfectly-whole.”
– The Greek word for “perfect” refers to wholeness as opposed to error free.
– The Greek verb for “be” is in the Future, Middle, Imperative 2nd Person Plural. What doe sthat mean?
– Verb: An action
– Future: Fulfilled in the future
– Middle: Perfection is being accomplished on its own by the work of the Father
– Indicative: This perfection really happening and possible
– 2nd Person Plural: Each individual must take action, but our action is also through a community.
What should we do if we hope to live in perfect-completeness like our Heavenly Father?
– Being perfectly-whole is not about avoiding “sin” it is about living in righteousness.
– Being perfectly-whole is not about inaction (stuff I don’t do} it is about the actions that I take.
– Being perfectly-whole means loving our enemies.
– Being perfectly-whole means caring for the needs of those who suffer (the widow, the poor, the orphan, etc…)