I recently listed my Top 5 Systematic Theologies, but there has been some interest in a larger list that not only lists the books, but also helps folks discern the theological background of each author. Listed below are general works in the area of theology that I use in college and graduate courses and should be a good starting place for your theological studies.
- I have put a check-mark beside those resources that are considered most reliable and accessible within their theological tradition.
- Where possible, I linked the title of each book to give you both a paper and a Kindle option.
- Davis, John Jefferson. Theology Primer: Resources For The Theological Student. Grand Rapids, MI: Baker Book House, 1981.
- Elwell, Walter A., ed. Evangelical Dictionary of Theology (Baker Reference Library). Grand Rapids, MI: Baker \Book House, 1984. ✔
- Enns, Paul. The Moody Handbook of Theology. Chicago, IL: Moody Press, 1989.
- Grenz, Stanley J., David Guretzki, and Cherith Fee Nordling. Pocket Dictionary of Theological Terms. Downers Grove, IL: InterVarsity Press, 1999.
- Grudem, Wayne, Grudem, Elliot. Christian Beliefs: Twenty Basics Every Christian Should Know. Grand Rapids, MI: Academie/Zondervan Publishing House. 2009
- Leith, John H., ed. Creeds of the Churches: A Reader in Christian Doctrine from the Bible to the Present. 3rd ed. Louisville, KY: John Knox Press, 1982.
- Lewis, Gordon R., and Bruce Demarest. Integrative Theology. Grand Rapids, MI: Academie/Zondervan Publishing House, 1987-1994. ✔
- Sawyer, M. James. Survivor’s Guide to Theology. Grand Rapids, MI: Zondervan Publishing House, 2006.
Arminian AND/OR Wesleyan
- Arminius, James (Jacobus). The Works of James Arminius: The London Edition (3 Volumes). Grand Rapids, MI: Baker \Book House, 1986.
- Carter, Charles W., ed. A Contemporary Wesleyan Theology. 2 Vols. Grand Rapids, MI: Francis Asbury Press, 1983.
- Dunning, H. Ray. Grace, Faith, and Holiness: A Wesleyan Theology. Kansas City, MO: Beacon Hill Press, 1988.
- Finney, Charles G. The Works of Charles Finney, Vol 1 (15-in-1) Power From on High, Lectures on Revivals of Religion, Autobiography of Charles Finney, Revival Fire, Holiness of Christians, Systematic Theology. Amazon Digital Services, Inc. 2012
- Grider, J. Kenneth. A Wesleyan-Holiness Theology. Kansas City, MO: Beacon Hill Press, 1994.
- Miley, John. Systematic Theolgoy. 2 Vols. Hendrickson Publishing. 1998.
- Oden, Thomas C. Systematic Theology. 3 Vols. New York, NY: Harper & Row, 1987-1992. ✔
- Wiley, H. Orton. Christian Theology. 3 Vols. Kansas City, MO: Beacon Hill Press, 1960.
- Grenz, Stanley. Theology for the Community of God. Nashville, TN: Broadman & Holman, 1994.
- Grudem, Wayne. Systematic Theology: An Introduction to Biblical Doctrine. Grand Rapids, MI: Zondervan Publishing House, 1994. ✔
- Henry, Carl F. H. God, Revelation, and Authority. 6 Vols. Waco, TX: Word, 1976-1983. ✔
- Aquinas, Thomas. Summa Theologica. 5 Vols. Christian Classics. 1981. ✔
- Chafer, Lewis S. Systematic Theology. 8 vols. Dallas, Texas: Dallas Seminary Press, 1947. ✔
- Hodge, Charles. Systematic Theology. 3 Vols. First published in 1872. Grand Rapids, MI: Wm. B. Eerdmans, 1975. ✔
- Ryrie, Charles C. Basic Theology:A Popular, Systematic Guide to Understanding Biblical Truth. Wheaton, Illinois: Victor Books, 1986.
- Shedd, William G. T. Dogmatic Theology. 3 vols. Grand Rapids, Michigan: Zondervan, n.d.
- Strong, Augustus Hopkins. Systematic Theology. Philadelphia, Pennsylvania: The Judson Press, 1954.
- Jenson, Robert W. Systematic Theology Vol 1: The Triune God & Systematic Theology, Vol 2: The Works of God. New York, NY: Oxford Univesity Press, 1997-1999.
- Thielicke, Helmut. The Evangelical Faith: The Doctrine of God and of Christ. 2 Vols. Grand Rapids, MI: Wm. B. Eerdmans, 1974.
- Barth, Karl. Church Dogmatics (A Selection From the full 14 Volume set). Westminster John Knox Press, 1994. ✔
- Brunner, Emil. Dogmatics Vol 1, Dogmatics Vol. 2 & Dogmatics Vol 3. Trans. Olive Wyon (Vols. 1 and 2) and David Cairns with T. H. L. Parker (Vol. 3). Philadelphia, PA: Westminster Press, 1949-1962.
- Pannenberg, Wolfhart. Systematic Theology Vol 1, Systematic Theology Vol 2, Systematic Theology Vol 3. Trans. Geoffrey W. Bromiley. Grand Rapids, MI: Wm. B. Eerdmans, 1991-1997.
- Tillich, Paul. Systematic Theology Vol. 1, Systematic Theology Vol. 2, Systematic Theology Vol. 3. Chicago, IL: University of Chicago Press, 1951-1963.
- Arrington, French L. Christian Doctrine: A Pentecostal Perspective Vol 1, Vol. 2, & Vol. 3.. Cleveland, TN: Pathway Press, 1992-1994.
- Hart, Larry D. Truth Aflame: Theology for the Church in Renewal. Rev. ed. Grand Rapids, MI: Zondervan Publishing House, 2005.
- Higgins, John R., Michael L. Dusing, and Frank D. Tallman. An Introduction to Theology: A Classical Pentecostal Perspective. Dubuque, IA: Kendall/Hunt Publishing Co., 1993.
- Pearlman, Myer. Knowing the Doctrines of the Bible. Springfield, MO: Gospel Publishing House, 1937.
- Warrington, Keith. Pentecostal Theology: A Theology of Encounter. New York, NY: T & T Clark, 2008.
- Williams, Ernest S. Systematic Theology Vol. 1, Systematic Theology Vol. 2. Systematic Theology vol. 3. Springfield, MO: Gospel Publishing House, 1953.
- Williams, J. Rodman. Renewal Theology: Systematic Theology from a Charismatic Perspective. Grand Rapids, MI: Zondervan Publishing House, 1996
- Berkhof, Louis. Systematic Theology. Grand Rapids, MI: Wm. B. Eerdmans, 1941, 1949.
- Berkouwer, G. C. Studies in Dogmatics. 14 Vols. Grand Rapids, MI: Wm. B. Eerdmans, 1952-1976.
- Bloesch, Donald. Essentials of Evangelical Theology. 2 Vols. San Francisco, CA: Harper and Row, 1978-1979.
- Calvin, John. Institutes of the Christian Religion. Signalman Publishing; 4th edition, 2008 ✔
- Erickson, Millard J. Christian Theology. 2nd ed. Grand Rapids, MI: Baker Academic, 1998. ✔
- Geisler, Norman. Systematic Theology. 4 Vols. Bethany House Publishers, 2005.✔
That is all for now. If you have suggestions for what books to add, then please leave a comment below with your suggestions and description.